The Rounds - October 15, 2006

>> Sunday, October 15, 2006

Good Evening Soca Lovers,
I’m nurse Karen and these are Doctor Jay’s Rounds. With less than one month to go before Soca or Die five…I’m starting to feel the anticipation in the air. Personally, I think de good doctor gone mad bringing every artiste and they brudda up to celebrate he birthday. But I tell you, when you’re the Prince of Soca, there’s no better way to show the city how much soca has been part of your life, than to throw a party the city will never forget. I’m real looking forward to it. Last week Doctor Jay mentioned that I will be marking a birthday too….dancing into the night with a slew of soca Scorpios -Murda!
This week, MTV Tempo finally released their birthday celebration plans as well. And guess when is their big party… that’s right! Saturday, November 4th. The big anniversary fete goes down on the island of St. Croix. It will feature performances by Shurwayne Winchester, Saucy Wow and a couple of others. But nothing like what we’re doing here. We packing up de KoolHaus with Doctor Jay and a truckload of his soca friends. I don’t think allyuh understand how excited I am to see Kimberly Inniss and Lil Rick perform “My Hips”…oh gosh L’il Rick people!!!
Oh-Kay…back to de rounds. Last week I let you know that Jamesy P was chilling at home rather than going down the road with fellow hit maker Jason Benn in Miami, That’s OK, because it turns out Mr. Benn was doing just fine on he own. Benn took away the 2006 Miami Soca Monarch Title last weekend with a song called “Who to Choose” It appears that the judges chose him. The Trini born singer is based in Brooklyn New York and is known there as a top promoter of Boat rides and Parties. He’s also known for his golden voice, having won New York Soca Artiste of the year four years ago at the first ever international Soca Awards.
I love it when hard working people get their due recognition. Benn is a songwriter too. In the past, he has composed songs for Denyse Plummer, Natasha Wilson, and Candy Hoyte.
Jason says he’ll be stepping it even hotter this year. He wrote a song for Destra called “ I dare you.” And although he hasn’t performed in Trinidad for carnival in three years, he plans to break that habit in 2007.
While we’re talking about hard workers who hadda get they props…I want to direct your attention to Doctor Jay de Soca prince. After all these years of Soca therapy, dat man been busting he hump to give you the very best in soca music. He works plenty hard and understands that sometimes when you’re busy, it’s good to get a little help. Lucky for me, because if wasn’t for Jay, Nurse Karen wouldn’ta ha no wuk.
And I must say, I’m thankful. Since I started bringing you the rounds, I’ve been learning something new every week. This week I found out a little something about my own heritage. Los Angeles carnival takes place in the community of Westchester. It’s home to a good sized Caribbean population as well as lots of Garifuna people. This is especially interesting to me, because of my own Garifuna ancestry. The Garifuna are a mixed race people who are the descendants of Shipwrecked African slaves and Amerindians who lived in St. Vincent. 5000 of them were exiled from St. Vincent when the British colonized the island. So, LA carnival has a slightly different sound track. Soca – Check!, Calypso – Check! And Punta…. Sounds similar to soca, it’s sung in English and Garifuna and comes from Belize, Hunduras, Guatemala, El Salvador and everywhere else large Garifuna populations are found. Maddzart performed last night at a huge Punta meets Soca fete. And right now, he’s joining the action on the road. I definitely have to join that action one day too. Punta music is plenty fun to dance to. And with that I bid you “Bwee-tee Gunyon”, I mean Good Night…
I’m nurse Karen and those were Doctor Jay’s Rounds. Send your comments to Soca a Flow 935 dot com. Now, back to de docta.

0 x 2 cents (comment, nuh!):

SUBSCRIBE...

Enter your email address, to receive a daily update by email:

Delivered by (Nurse) Karen (Etc)

subcribe in a reader

Add to Google


Donate

CONTACT DE NURSE

Do you have news you think we should know about? Do you want to share your opinion about something your read on (Nurse) Karen (Etc). Call de Nurse for free from anywhere in the US or Canada! Click below to connect her phone to yours...

Follow (ETC)!

  © Nurse Karen Etc Nurse Karen Etc by Mustard Seed Media 2005 - 2009

Back to TOP