The Rounds - November 5, 2006

>> Sunday, November 5, 2006

Good Evening Soca Lovers,
I’m nurse Karen and these are Dr. Jay’s Rounds for the de day after de biggest day on de fall soca calendar. If anybody should dare to say dey ain’t know what ah talking about let me just hurry up and tell you. Because I don’t have patience for dotishness and you…well you don’t have de ears for my fury.
Last night was the biggest birthday party I’ve ever seen in all meh born days. 25 hundred people packed into de Koolhaus to celebrate de big man doctor jay and to party with other soca scorpios like Marxman, Sir Phillips and yours truly. 13 soca artistes, a surprise dancehall entertainer. Earl La Pierre junior tapping out sweet r&b melodies on his tenor pan…and gyul named buffy…who go be talk of de town fuh de next little while.
Soca or Die 5 was an outstanding success…with my personal highlight being a cheque for $25 hundred presented to the Caribbean Children’s Foundation. Proving that Dr. Jay isn’t just getting older…he’s getting better! And I’m real happy he keeps sharing his blessings with all who cross his path.
Speaking of getting better…Benjai…if you’re still in town. Hit me pon My space, nah man. I does usally go for de locks n’ ting, but ah find the new look is suiting you just fine. Rah rah rah…
Michelle Sylvester, Mista Vybe, Terry Seales, Ms Alysha and Nadia Batson appeared together internationally for the first time as the big artist crew. I watched closely, because I hear they does refer to Terry Seales as the Original Spicy Crispy Winerboy….Now, that is sounding like a flavour of fried chicken to me. Which wouldn’t surprise me, because Trinidad has chicken restaurants like how New York has liquor stores. 3 in the airport alone. I see de boy lick off one piece ah wine pon de stage…and ah hadda say…it was definitely original, and spicy and a little crispy too. Ah tink ah get it now.
The one peter ram says he needs a woman by his side. But ah just want to dispel any rumours before de commess starts flying. I am de woman by his side in several photos taken last night but is nuttin’.. really. De both of us just like to pose up with celebrities…orkay?
I hear allyuh murmurs through my headphones and I know what you’re thinking. One big fete doesn’t make this the biggest soca weekend on the fall soca calendar. You’re right…so maybe you’re not dotish after all.
Friday was the 28th anniversary of Dominica’s independence. Sakap Fete Creole Posse!
This weekend was also the COTT Music Awards. Remember I told you so de other week? Well, Shurwayne Winchester was the big winner walking away with three trophies. He won “Songwriter of the Year, “Song of the Year” and “Groovy Soca of the Year”and word is that he has his eyes on those prizes for next year too, with some big tunes ready for the 2007 carnival season.
I’m happy for him. 2006 has been a great year with the exception of that incident at Glow in St. Vincent when he jumped in the crowd and some fans stole his bangle and wallet during a performance. When I spoke to him afterward he was in good spirits anyway…which just goes to show...It’s not what you have, it’s what you know. And Mr. Winchester knows he’s got the recipe for success
Rikki Jai’s Mor Tor won Chutney of the Year.
Destra took home female songwriter of the year and Jadee won Gospel song of the year with baptize…I love that one. He calling out fire and brimstone on all the soca artists…and everybody dancing up same way.
Last night Isaac Blackman reminded us all to keep our eyes focused on the creator when he serenaded me…or the crowd rather with “To the ceiling”. And I tellyuh soca people, jokes aside. Without God’s blessings we wouldn’t have birthdays to celebrate and we wouldn’t have friends to celebrate them with.
Down in Virginia, dem boys at Article One productions were celebrating the 50th birthday of the legendary Hip Hop DJ Red Alert. If I wasn’t at soca or die, I might have liked to make that trip. Article One are those guys who keep putting out the hottest remixes of Hip hop and R&B songs on soca riddims. You remember the Mario…let me love you remix from Trinidad Carnival 2005? People credit Red Alert as the dj who popularized hip hop and dancehall on American mainstream radio. Kinda like how I credit Doctor Jay as the Canadian Ambassador of Soca. This weekend’s birthday tribute featured performances by the Jungle Brothers, Screechy Dan, Red Fox and Kevin Lyttle.
Last but not least, we head down to the Virgin Islands for the MTV Tempo Anniversary Party. The station celebrated its first birthday last night with the likes of Alison Hinds, Machel Montano, Denise Belfon and Morgan Heritage.
I feel when you add up all the excitement they had going on all-OVA!!! We not gonna see this kind of revelry again until Christmas time.
So, to de young man who was asking me for a piece of salt pork this morning after de fete…I didn’t change my mind, yuh still wouldn’t get it from me…But at least you’re in the right season. In my books, de parang now start. So once allyuh catch up on your sleep…and you’re looking for a next lime….Check for me at the Big people Parang show on November, 25th.
I’m nurse Karen and those were Doctor Jay’s Rounds. Send me your comments and birthday wishes at Soca at flow 935 dot com. Now back to de docta!

0 x 2 cents (comment, nuh!):

SUBSCRIBE...

Enter your email address, to receive a daily update by email:

Delivered by (Nurse) Karen (Etc)

subcribe in a reader

Add to Google


Donate

CONTACT DE NURSE

Do you have news you think we should know about? Do you want to share your opinion about something your read on (Nurse) Karen (Etc). Call de Nurse for free from anywhere in the US or Canada! Click below to connect her phone to yours...

Follow (ETC)!

  © Nurse Karen Etc Nurse Karen Etc by Mustard Seed Media 2005 - 2009

Back to TOP