Nurse’s Lounge: Friends, Family and Football...and Jamesy P

>> Sunday, January 18, 2009

It is cold.  Yes, I do remember that I’m Canadian, but Winter is not usually the time of year that I plan to spend hours at a time standing around outdoors.   After freezing my hands and warming my heart at the HBO concert, my icy toes got moving.  I had received an invitation from Jamesy P’s new manager to check out a private football lime in a posh condo complex in the Capitol Hill region. 

Finding the spot was a chore and a half.  However, I finally got there...not a moment too soon!   The gathering was a big excuse to gather locals and visitors to watch a little football on a Sunday evening.  I know precious little about the NFL, so I was grateful for the other entertainment options: food and drink!  I filled my plate with an array of savoury goodies, while Wasi Philbert, host and resident bar man kept the Nurse Karen contingent jovial with pale green cocktails.

Jamesy P enjoying a game of pool

Wait!  I almost forgot to tell you - Jamesy P was in the house! Throughout the evening his music provided the upbeat soundtrack to AFC and NFC playoff games. (Philly lost. Some said that’s a bad thing.) 

Finally, I figured out why I was invited in the first place!  Don’t get me wrong, I love meeting new people and getting to know people in the business away from the regular performance context, but it’s not everyday I get an invite to watch football at a swanky condo.  Jamesy P was about to give a live performance of an unreleased track for Trinidad Carnival 2009.

The piece is called Sugar Pan, it’s  a humorous mid-tempo soca about horning partners.  He charismatic Vincy, best known for a little chune called “Nookie”, stood atop a bar stool and tested his new ditty out on about 35 guests, all who were eager to join in to sing the chorus. Great response from the first ever audience.

Jamesy P and Nurse Karen in Washington, D.C.

The crowd reacted with unanimous approval.  Some danced. Some held their guts laughing.  Others watched every antic wearing buggy eyes and wide smiles.  Personally, I’m excited to see how it turns out.  I’m told the release will be happening by next week.

Shortly after the impromptu show, Nookieman slipped out to sound check for Obama Soca-rama.  That’s the big Caribbean fete happening later tonight.  I’ll fill you in a little later.  Pardon me, but I’m still in a mild state of shock.  No one told me about this line up!  LOL...change had indeed come to America.

Meet you back here later!

0 x 2 cents (comment, nuh!):

SUBSCRIBE...

Enter your email address, to receive a daily update by email:

Delivered by (Nurse) Karen (Etc)

subcribe in a reader

Add to Google


Donate

CONTACT DE NURSE

Do you have news you think we should know about? Do you want to share your opinion about something your read on (Nurse) Karen (Etc). Call de Nurse for free from anywhere in the US or Canada! Click below to connect her phone to yours...

Follow (ETC)!

  © Nurse Karen Etc Nurse Karen Etc by Mustard Seed Media 2005 - 2009

Back to TOP