Nurse's Lounge: Washington Obama Soca-rama

>> Monday, January 19, 2009

One thing you oughta know about de Nurse, in case you haven't figured it out:  anywhere I go, soca must find me.  So, I'm here in DC.  No business vibes.  This little roadtrip was strictly vacation.  The plan was to be a part of history in the making.


We did that today at the concert...and I truly can't wait to witness Obama take his oath of office on Tuesday.  Knowing me, ah go cry.  I digress.

So, in my heart of hearts I knew that the Caribbean Community had to be doing something to recognize this occasion.  I shot a few emails to some US DJs and promoter trying to figure out if anything would be popping.  I turned up nothing.  Then this afternoon Jamesy P happens to casually mention something about a show he would be in this very night.  I'm a different kind of exhausted, so let's keep the details short and sweet:

Highlights: 
  •  I finally met David Rudder. If you are reading this from Toronto, I'm sure you're wondering how it is that I haven't met the man.  I've seen him perform one-zillion times.  I've shared green rooms a few times.  However, I don't like to bother artistes at all, especially when I get a little case of soca-star-struck-itis. Meeting him was good enough, but when I said...

"My name is Karen. I'm a journalist from Toronto. " 

and he replied, "Are you Nurse Karen?"  I almost tumbled off my heels. 


My little moment with the incomparable David Rudder


  • I found out Baron didn't lose ALL his gold.  Earlier this month, I reported on a mishap that led to Baron loosing nearly his entire colleciton of gold jewelry at Piarco Airport in December.  He had on three chains tonight that were never packed in that lost pouch.  He says nothing has been returned.  None the less, his voice is still golden, despite his neck being unusually bare. 


The Baron and me!

 
  • International:  You already know, this is what I support.  Kudos for bring up artists from Barbados, Grenada, Jamaica, St. Vincent and Trinidad.

  • Cross Generational:  All eras of soca's development were repped to the fullest with a cast including the likes of Alison Hinds, Jamesy P, David Rudder, The Baron, and Kerwin Du Bois.

Kerwin Du Bois and Nurse Karen


Inclusive:  We all love we soca, but let's not try and fool anybody here.  Reggae is like the rice in allyuh sunday dinner when it comes to the music we appreciate.  You might be salivating over stew chicken, but the rice must be there.  Well, soca children...Cocoa Tea brought offical greetings as the RICE.  De man voice sweet.  The cast also included a newcomer by the name of Jeremy.  The young soca artist came up from T&T for his first US performance.  At this stage, I would like to see a litte more depth to the writing in his songs.  However, he shows some promise as a performer.  When he was on stage, he had the audience...even it if was by removing articles of clothing from his not-so-mature chest. That is no easy task.

Cocoa Tea and Nurse Karen


Energetic:  The Georgia Avenue venue used to be an old Chevy dealership.  The gigantic warehouse was cold as ice inside, unless you were pelting waist, so you know what we had to do!  I think I may have been one of the youngest people in the house.  I saw a few faces old enough to be in class with my Granny.  Quite literally, a woman who knows me mudda from Home came over to say hello.  It was after 5 am.  

Alison was blazing up the stage, and I had my coat on, ready to blaze my trail back to the ranch. This woman was prepared to close out the fete.  The best example of energy is bottled up in the host with the most, NY's MC Wassy.  I think I'll go out on a limb and officially endorse the man.  Promoters, Uncle Wassy would give your money's worth and more.  I've never seen a host sing with the band, wine up in the crowd, do stand up...all in the same show.   Book him!..and when you do, send me a ticket, ah wan reach de show.

Well, I said I would be short.  So there it is.  The variety of the show was an unexpected treat.  Big Up to Jamesy P and Atlanta Carnival's Wasi Philbert for the invitation and hospitality.  You made my night.  

0 x 2 cents (comment, nuh!):

SUBSCRIBE...

Enter your email address, to receive a daily update by email:

Delivered by (Nurse) Karen (Etc)

subcribe in a reader

Add to Google


Donate

CONTACT DE NURSE

Do you have news you think we should know about? Do you want to share your opinion about something your read on (Nurse) Karen (Etc). Call de Nurse for free from anywhere in the US or Canada! Click below to connect her phone to yours...

Follow (ETC)!

  © Nurse Karen Etc Nurse Karen Etc by Mustard Seed Media 2005 - 2009

Back to TOP