Nurse's Lounge: Carlton Brown at LG Fashion Week (video)

>> Friday, March 20, 2009

When I'm not blogging or these days, tweeting, I'm known to make the most of living in one of North America's great cities.  So, I  was pretty excited to have a friend offer me some VIP tix to the Carlton Brown show "Fall With a Caribbean Twist"at LG Fashion Week tonight. 


True, I tend to have a great time experimenting with style, but I know nada about the matter in real terms.  In high school one of my best friends cut me from modeling in the end of the year fashion show.  That may explain why I've been rebelling ever since.

Tonight I played fashion voyeuse, taking in a menswear line by a much talked about Jamaican designer called Carlton Brown.  I know this isn't about soca, but sit tight, Jamaica carnival is happening now, so I figure this man may as well be newsworthy.


LG Fashion Week is a pretty glitzy affair; parties, cocktails and the like with some fashion heaped in for good measure.  The "Brown" event was no exception.  The show began with a special appearance by veteran Jamaican-Canadian model, Stacey McKenzie...who I haven 't seen in the flesh since interviewing her for ECHO TV in, like, 2005. The soundtrack was popular Jamaican dancehall Dub plates from Sean Paul, Brick and Lace and Elephant Man.  

I spotted some of who I consider to be black Toronto's who's who, like Ngozi Paul (co-writer, co-star of Da Kink in My Hair series),  Tonya Lee Williams ( of Young and the Restless fame), fellow poet Dwayne Morgan, and Suzanne Boyd ( former Editor-in-Chief of Flare Magazine and Suede Magazine...not sure what she's up to now, other than looking FAB.)


The clothes -- does my opinion even matter?  Rich fabrics, with paterned overlays in hues that, though muted, make a bold statement for men.  He was trying this one armed man-shrug, that was cute on the runway for sure...but not my cup of tea.  

Though a few styles fails to satisfy MY style appetite, the models delivered a sumptuous buffet of aestetics! Special thanks to whoeveryouare at City TV for not showing up.  The seat was amazing.

Love and Soca,

(Nurse) Karen


P.S. The video was an after thought, but I guessed some of you might enjoy it.  Please let me know if you do!




0 x 2 cents (comment, nuh!):

SUBSCRIBE...

Enter your email address, to receive a daily update by email:

Delivered by (Nurse) Karen (Etc)

subcribe in a reader

Add to Google


Donate

CONTACT DE NURSE

Do you have news you think we should know about? Do you want to share your opinion about something your read on (Nurse) Karen (Etc). Call de Nurse for free from anywhere in the US or Canada! Click below to connect her phone to yours...

Follow (ETC)!

  © Nurse Karen Etc Nurse Karen Etc by Mustard Seed Media 2005 - 2009

Back to TOP