Nurse's Lounge: Return to Eden

>> Monday, October 13, 2008

After all that carnival madness, it's a good idea to cool down before skipping town. Lucky for me, I ran into Walshy Fire from the legendary Black Chiney sound last month in Toronto. We both happened to be a Nathan Phillips Square taking in the Manifesto Hip Hop festival.I biked over to take a peek after I finished up at Soca Therapy on Flow 93.5 FM. Walshy was in town for the night to DJ the official after party.



Nurse Karen and Walshy at Manifesto









So, my boy tells me that he was throwing a party during Miami Carnival weekend and that I should reach if at all possible. Well friends, that was a no-brainer after the time I had in Manhattan. I was going to make time, and make time I did.



Ricky T dancing circles around us...








In retrospect....it was a pretty tricky feat. The Party was called Eden or A.U.R.A (After "U" Rave All Day). I just told you what kind of day I had. Two-carnivals, a lot of jump and wave..and some uber heavy West Indian food to boot. When I got back to the hotel after Broward it was already midnight.



X-caliber International's Slaughter, serious about keeping the party jumping









The event was free for the women-folk before 1 a.m. Yeah, right! So last week, I asked Walshy if there was a guest list. Y'all know I have a problem getting places early. He assured me that 1 wasn't going to be an issue...maybe he doesn't know me well enough yet.



Vincy Soca Artiste Fimba and Nurse Karen









Boyyyy, I just have to count my blessings. I was really looking forward to this event like no other. Simply to relax. This was the spot that where quite a few friends were planning to go...and I wanted to let loose and just dance. (Large up Lady Ga-Ga...Miami is loving your chune!)



Crown Prince taking a break from moving the crowd









To make a long story somewhat longer: we got in. The crew was 10 deep: Barrie Hype, Skinny Fabulous, Teddyson John, Fimba, The Houston Sisters, one lone but bery sweet Trini sistrin, Ricky T, the Split and Me. It must have been more like 2:30 a.m. Walshy we love you. I still remember the look on the ticket girl's face when you waved us in. She was like "All of them?" LOL. Dude...thanks.



Top Gunners Barrie Hype and Skinny Fabulous having a time at Eden










Highlights of the Night: So many.


  • Ricky T is a serious winer boy. He can throw down solo, couples style, reggae, soca, old school, house. He never sat down for the night. And because of THAT, neither did i. It was such thrill seeing him school all of us on the dancefloor. Rhythm for hours. Waist for days.
  • Meeting Orlando's DJ Crown Prince in the Flesh. Wikked set rudebwoy. Word on the street is that you're moving your operation to Miami. The city will be lucky to have you around
  • The after lime at IHOP. That restaurant is so COLD dread, especially when you're wearing a backless dress. I have to say THANK YOU to the gentleman who literally gave me the shirt off his back. He was only getting takeout, but thanks to him, I ate my brekky in total comfort.
  • PETER. I'm going to post a video in two-two's. It has nothing to do with soca. But, Peter was our server at IHOP. He's a singer-songwriter with a CRAZY vocal range. Dunno if we'll meet again. But I seriously wish you luck!


  • Eden was like a return to innocence. No notebooks, no interviews, no deadlines. Just good times with friends.
    ...belated shout out to Tim and D'Bandit. As I was blogging about IHOP. I thought it would be fitting to post THIS. Good seeing you EVERYWHERE this weekend...on your best behaviour, of course! Hope you enjoyed your red skin potatoes!










    0 x 2 cents (comment, nuh!):

    SUBSCRIBE...

    Enter your email address, to receive a daily update by email:

    Delivered by (Nurse) Karen (Etc)

    subcribe in a reader

    Add to Google


    Donate

    CONTACT DE NURSE

    Do you have news you think we should know about? Do you want to share your opinion about something your read on (Nurse) Karen (Etc). Call de Nurse for free from anywhere in the US or Canada! Click below to connect her phone to yours...

    Follow (ETC)!

      © Nurse Karen Etc Nurse Karen Etc by Mustard Seed Media 2005 - 2009

    Back to TOP