Nurse's Lounge: Boston Carnival, the rainy truth!

>> Friday, September 11, 2009

Did I ever tell you about Boston Carnival? As you know, I made my first trip down for the festivities this year. However, it seems like my timing was off.


Saturday, August 29th was an incredibly busy day on the calendar for a number of reasons. Don't remember? Let me remind you. That date was also MJ's b-day (RIP). It was Ted Kennedy's funeral (which was also happening in Boston). It was the anniversary of hurricane Katrina. And oh yeah, there just so happened to be a tropical storm called "Danny" parked on top of Boston. It seemed like the whole world was mourning...and we the carnival survivors were caught in the crossfire of tears.


That Saturday the weather never rose above about 14 degrees celsius. My friends in Toronto know that when the mercury dips below 20, I either hibernate or leave town, so jumping carnival was a bit of a stretch. When I say the rain never stopped. It never stopped. So there I was staying in a house bursting at the seams with about 12 out of town guests. The rain poured outside and we made our own fun all morning listening to music, talking about politics in the soca bizness, and trying our best not to disturb the sleeping baby.

Ras X and his cousin Bah made a wicked breakfast of coconut dumplin, and saltfish served with cucumber and tomatoes. We ate our bellies full and took our time getting ready to hit the road. We had a lot of improvising to do in order to find enough clothes to accomodate the unexpected elements.

When all that was said and done, we finally arrived on the parade route. Too bad the parade was DONE!!!! We ended up running for cover (again) into the basement where I got to unleash my badgyal domino skills on some unsuspecting dudes. (Dad, if you're reading this. Thanks for all teh training!)


I can laugh about it now, but I have to admit that it took a little while for me to forgive myself for sitting out of carnival due to rain. Am I getting old or something? Who knows, but one thing is for sure...It may have been cold and wet, but I had a wonderful time. I made a few great new friends that weekend thanks to all those hours locked up in the house, and all the failed attempts to venture out for some fun.

So allow me to send my love to everybody who made my weekend memorable; Gretchen, Wisdom, Ras X, Berrymint, Bah, Max, Mini Max, Black Roots, Paul, Ezzy, Katisha, etc, etc!

Nothing says a good time like friends, food and fun! The hospitality I encountered in Boston was like no other. I promise I'll be back to let you know what it's really like....rain or shine!



Love and Carnival,


P.S This Sunday is Cambridge Carnival across the river from Boston. Wishing you guys lots of sun and warm weather to make up for what you missed 3 weeks ago!

2 x 2 cents (comment, nuh!):

Junior September 11, 2009 at 8:01 PM  

Boston was fun this year. The rain showed the real carnival freaks!

yung hova September 14, 2009 at 3:50 PM  

yes karen, how come u aint big up de new york crew who came down..lmao...was fun though..lol

SUBSCRIBE...

Enter your email address, to receive a daily update by email:

Delivered by (Nurse) Karen (Etc)

subcribe in a reader

Add to Google


Donate

CONTACT DE NURSE

Do you have news you think we should know about? Do you want to share your opinion about something your read on (Nurse) Karen (Etc). Call de Nurse for free from anywhere in the US or Canada! Click below to connect her phone to yours...

Follow (ETC)!

  © Nurse Karen Etc Nurse Karen Etc by Mustard Seed Media 2005 - 2009

Back to TOP