Nurse's Lounge: Studio lime with Shadee and Jon FX

>> Friday, August 28, 2009

God has a sense of humour. You know that right? Thursday was a real comedy of errors for me. It seemed like the simplest things, just refused to go as planned. The biggest plan on my agenda, however, was to do a little recording. Don't worry allyuh, de Nurse nah tun artist. Outside of all this, I'm a spoke word poet, with half a lifetime's experience dazzling listeners with my words. (that's what they tell me!) So, back to the story. Thursday was supposed to be studio day with Kevin "Shadee" Sardine in Canarsie, Brooklyn.


Shadee and Jon FX

Still trying to place the name? Kevin hails from St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Years ago he performed with a band called Signal alongside Luta. He then spent a few years touring the high seas as a cruise ship vocalist...wearing dorky @$$ Hawaiian shirts and all. Since then, he has released a few soca tracks as solo artiste for Vincy Mas.

Let's ignore all that for a sec tho. Shadee is now based in New York. He continues to gig as a keyboardist and sample technician, but he's also making a name for himself as a producer. So...I go there. I was planning to voice a couple a cappella for him to build around...and pick some of his other awesome beats to perform to. Then the doorbell rings.

I was told that someone would be popping by in the afternoon to pick up something. SOMEBODY sure did. In comes Jamaica's dancehall groove master Jon FX Crawford. My man has a grammy to his name for some work he did on Britney Spears' "Toxic" record! He's also pumped out hits for the likes of I Wayne, Sizzla, Gyptian, amd Wayne Wonder.

Jon FX and Nurse Karen

The list goes on. FX needed Shadee (who HE calls a "genius") to mix a new riddim for him The gritty, but sexy new riddim is called the "Wild Geese" riddim. And boooooooooooy...that thing sounds word class to me. He tells me that Gyptian has voiced on it, Estelle is interested in dropping her swag on it...and Kevin Lyttle's got a confirmed next. He'll be recording with him in a matter of days. In my opinion, that riddim has Tessanne Chin written all over it. Tessanne, if you're reading...call FX...pretty please.

Once that was through, an emerging reggae artist called Blaze passed through. Got to hear an unmixed track that had me singing along from first listen. He's moving in the right circles and definitely has the chops to turn heads.
Blaze and Nurse Karen

Needless to say, I didn't get to record ANYTHING! FX, you owe me some studio time, and a track for my album. (I'm just joking, but boyyyyy would that be nice!)

I made sure to grab some clips of the in-studio vibe during the mixing process. So, stayed tuned... I promise to get that spliced together and posted sometime after my BIG weekend at Boston Carnival!

Love and Music!



0 x 2 cents (comment, nuh!):

SUBSCRIBE...

Enter your email address, to receive a daily update by email:

Delivered by (Nurse) Karen (Etc)

subcribe in a reader

Add to Google


Donate

CONTACT DE NURSE

Do you have news you think we should know about? Do you want to share your opinion about something your read on (Nurse) Karen (Etc). Call de Nurse for free from anywhere in the US or Canada! Click below to connect her phone to yours...

Follow (ETC)!

  © Nurse Karen Etc Nurse Karen Etc by Mustard Seed Media 2005 - 2009

Back to TOP