Nurse's Lounge: What happened to me at Fire Fete

>> Monday, August 3, 2009

(Pleasre remember to comment after reading this. Any information on the happenings last night, or even words of encouragment are TRULY appreciated)

I just want to say thank you to all of you who have been showing concern for me following an incident that took place at CVR Entertaiment's Fire Fete earlier this morning. I am indeed yet in a lot of discomfort. As some of you know, and witnessed. I was sprayed in the face and eyes by an employee of a private security firm, hired to secure the stage area at one of the popular Toronto Carnival stage shows on Sunday night.

The pain continues, however, it is infinitely milder than in the moments following the initial incident, wherein, I lost my vision and felt was thought the skin on my neck, face, mouth and ears was being bitten up by and infestation of ants. In case, this is all new to you. Yes, I'm going to fill you in. I realise it's smart to put things in writing, especially since this is turning out to be a much more serious issue than I had thought at first.

I am posting this report on my blog for several reasons.

1. To address those expressing genuine concern to whom I'm not able to respond directly
2. To squash rumours
3. To extablish a written first hand account of my experience
4. To identify the perpetrator
5. To make known eye-witness to the unfortunate incident, whether in whole or in part
5. To compliment a police report that (I hope) was filed by a caucausian female officer from 51 division who refused to give me her name after I made my report in front of the venue shortly after 4 am.
6. To further connect with soca fans, and supports who know and appreciate my efforts to professionally expose the ins and outs of the soca business internationally through radio, online blogs, feature print articles, and on-camera work.

For your reference, I have provided a link to Wikipedia's article on "Pepper Spray"...the substance which I believe was used against me willfully and illegally, as an uneccesary restraint, as I posed no threat whatsoever to patrons, artistes or staff. Rather, I was attending the event with the full support of the promotional outfit...simple doing my job.

Please click for an explanation of the effects of the substance, including symptoms I experiences and in some cases continue to experience right now, about 6 hours after I was sprayed.

Below is an excerpt from the Wikipedia article that refers to the legal use of Pepper Spray and other such products here in Canada. If the copied information indeed presents factual information about the substance. It stands to reason, that I have a rightful legal claim against the contracted security agency and the employee who resorted to this barbaric assault without warning of any sort.

In Canada
In Canada all products with a label containing the words pepper spray, mace, etc, or otherwise originally produced for use on humans are classified as a prohibited weapon[27]. Only Peace Officers, and individuals/corporations who have special government permits may legally carry or possess pepper spray. Any similar canister with the labels reading "dog spray" and/or "bear spray" is regulated under the Pest Control Products Act - while legal to be carried by anyone, it is against the law if its use causes 'a risk of imminent death or serious bodily harm to another person' or harming the environment and carries a penalty up to a fine of $500,000 and jail time of maximum 3 years[28]. Of course, the legality of using spray intended for animal deterent on a person would be determined in court on a case-by-case basis



For details on my account of the situation, continue reading below:

First things first. At the beginning of Fay Ann Lyons' performance at Fire Fete, I was approached by a security guard, likely in his 40's who asked me to move from the media/photographer's pit in front of the stage. I responded by showing the "gentlemen" (medium build, 5'10 to 6'1) my yellow all access wristband. He told me that the promoter, who he named, had asked him to clear everyone from the stage area. At the same time, Tee, a local event photographer who also does some work for Toronto-Lime dot com was standing quite close to me on a speaker box. She saw that there seemed to be a problem and told me to inform the guy that I was media. I had already done so, but I told him again after she had vouched for me.

The nameless "security" officer

My media clearance was confirmed via email sent from the promoter's iphone 5 days ago on July 28th. I have covered events at the same venue in the past and have never had any problems. So, I had no reason to think that I was to clear the area. Earlier the the show, a few mega-fans found their way into this secured area and were making it difficult for the photographer to get clear shots. Two young men in particular were waving flags and dancing around in there. I am quite sure that if the promoter/stage manager desired for action to be taken it would have been directed to those fellows. To my knowledge, they had all left the area shortly before the incident took place with yours truly.

Most people in the soca business can vouch, that I almost always walk with my business cards. I use these to make it easy for industry personalities to stay in touch with their news and happenings. When the aggressive security personnel began to give me problems, I presented him one of my cards. It bears a photograph of my face, and clearly reads; "Nurse Karen" ( Line 1) "Entertainment Journalist" (Line 2) followed by contact information. The reverse side of the card reads (Soca News from the Source) surrounded by a variety of links to online entities that either demonstrate my involvment in the field or provide additional methods of contact, i.e., blog address, msn address, podcast link, myspace link.

The card was swatted out of my hand. The guard began shouting "Move" repeatedly. At this point, I had backed up to the outside right hand corner of the front of the stage, having almost completely exited the area in dispute. The security officer picked up a long black item with his right hand. Initially, I thought it to be a walkie-talkie. I asked him if he was calling the promoter. (I used his name) Little did I know, at the time...that the officer has raised a cannister of what I believe to be mace or pepper spray. As I began to see the vapour heading directly for my line of sight, I closed my eyes tightly and turned to walk away. I remember seeing the officer depress the aerosol twice in succession. Fay Ann made comments on stage to the effect of security being rough (I don't recall her specific words, however there are likely several videos circulating with this footage. Also, several artists and show patrons after listening to my story believed it to be somehow connected to Fay Ann's comments on the stage.


A better look at the guy who ended my Caribana on a sour note

At first, the shock was greater than the pain. The first effect was respiratory, then a burning buzz began to develop on my lips. I ran to tell Gary Duarte, a section leader with Tribal Knights band. I dunno if he caught what I was saying, but when he didn't respond I began to make my way backstage. As I walked though a jumble of persons standing at the back right hand corner of the stage. I saw KMC, who may just arrived. We greeted eachother briefly as I told him what happened. The sting was rapidly intensifying. When I got backstage, I got quite angry. I shouted out aloud that I had been Pepper sprayed. Ravi B, Nisha B and Karma Band who were there.

Someone in the band suggested that I wash my face, to removed the chemicals. I did so in a green room sink. The water actually deepened the pain and spread the burning feeling further around my face and neck. My eyes burned with an indescribably pain. I clenched my eyes together tightly as hot tears seeped out incessantly. I began bouts of screaming. I didn't know how to make it stop. The pain continued to get worse rapidly for 20 or so minutes. I was unable to open my eyes for the pain, and when opened I could not see anything.

I really have to extend a deep word of thanks and deep respect and appreciation to Ravi and Nisha (who I met in person for the first time at Fire Fete). They treated me like gold.

I'm not sure who was saying or doing what at this point. However, I believe it was Nisha who asked if she could get anything for me. As my friends, ( who are all general patrons) where somewhere out in the crowd. I asked the female who was with me in the washroom to get Skinny Fabulous. We've known each other long before there was a "Nurse Karen" to speak of. I just wanted someone who actually knows me to be aware of what was going on. I still couldn't see. Even when Skinny arrived and was speaking to me, I was so out of it, I didn't realize who I was speaking to.

Paramedics were called to the backstage area. The first person who listened to me told me that security is not allowed to carry pepper spray. They cautioned me against putting water on my skin. They checked my eyes repeatedly, and commented on their redness. One of the women was visibly disgusted by the look of my eyes. I took Skinny Fabulous' towel and put it over my face, so as to cover my clenched tearful face.

Different people ensured me that they alerted event organizers. Several people asked me for a description of the culprit. I gave the description numorous times. However, I was told over and over that he could not be found and that no one knew who he was. Tee, the photographer I mentioned earlier eventually made it back stage and saw me, after most of the burning had moved out from my eyes.

I can go on with further details as the night was very long. Just a couple more things to mention at this point.

I gave this account to the paramedic, as well as Alex Miller who works providing security with the venue. He took me aside to tell me that the person responsible was additional security hired by the promoter to deal with the stage area. He took all my contact information..and assured me that he would be finding out the name of the outside security company that was used. He says, that following an incident such as the one I've described, the two teams can not continue to work together. The use of excessive force on a non-combative member of the media, would not be condoned.

My contact details, date of birth, and street address was provided for the paramedic whose name I can't remember (blonde, female) and for Mr. Miller. They were both understanding and friendly. Eventually a couple of my friends were permitted to meet me backstage, to meet me and carry me home. Much of the stinging and redness had dissipated from my eyes, however as it spread, my skin appeared to become reddened and irritated. Even as I continue to write at 9:33 am, it seems as though my eyes have begun to sting again from remnants of the substance that may be in my eyelashes.

That's all for now. I likely won't share any more of this on Nurse Karen Etc. However, when the matter was brought to the attention of the Toronto Police, it was initially handled with a total disregard for my security or the severity of the matter. I will be attempting to launch a complaint about the officer who turned his back on me and walked away after I had asked him about the process of filing a report.

I still feel the stinging. After reading some of the information about pepper spray online, I will attempt bathing in baby shampoo to remove this from my skin. I will be visiting my local division to ensure that an official report has been filed. I will also be looking for an open medical clinic ( even though it's a holiday Monday). My lips are very swollen this morning, and the skin on the left side of my neck, chest and shoulders feels raw and bumpy.

Thanks to everyone who assisted me. You are greatly appreciated. This situation could have been so much worse without you. I feel blessed to know that there are people who are so kind and caring in critical times. If I miss names, I apologize. In some cases it's because I have forgotten your name. However, I would like to take the time to acknowledge those who come to mind. I pray that God adds you blessings, as you continue to give from the heart, loving one another as God first loved you.
Love and respect to: Tee, Ravi B, Nisha B, Skinny Fabulous, Andrea, Colleen, Kevin Browne, Dr. Jay

As this was happening it brought to mind several trying experiences that have dotted my career in entertainment journalism. The fight for respect is a constant uphill battle. Of the years, I have contually been surprised by both the strangers who have sacrificed much to assist me, and the supposed close allies who at times present the greatest barriers to my success.

About 7 hours ago, I posted the following on twitter and facebook:
Pepper spray in my eyes. of all the disrespect i've ever endured in this biz, this is the worst. dunno if being nurse karen is worth this.


Several of you responded with an outpouring of love. You have no idea what those words mean to me. I love the work that I am blrssed to be able to do. I see such talent and potential in our music and our Caribbean people, I want to be a part of helping us as people reach our highest height. So thanks from the bottom of my heart for believing in me, and always encouraging me to look past the troubles to the bigger picture!

Love and Soca,

Nurse Karen

P.S. If you wanna help, here's what you can do.

1. If you witnessed this. Please go to the police. I know that's not popular in our community. However, I believe that punitiva action must be taken. The security guard used a banned substance that is known to cause permanent damage to some victims and has been linked to the death of some victims

2. Identify the security guard for me. I want to be sure that his employers are aware of what took place. At this point, I have to trust that someone else is taking care of it. No one was forthcoming with a name for this man. (I snapped the above photos of him as I was leaving the venue. So, he did not leave when people where saying so. I have reason to believe that some persons were protecting his identity.

3. Tell me something good. This had me really shaken. Writing about it is helping a lot, but more than that...knowing you're there, sending positive vibes...that goes a long way.

Love you all! ...and thanks!

58 x 2 cents (comment, nuh!):

Orty August 3, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

jus dont let them asshole get to u, u are growing in to something big now so u have brush yourself off and keep on going when u have children u can tell them about d good and d bad about wot u do... lol to be d best is not all fun and gam, but u will get to d top someday

Trudy August 3, 2009 at 10:55 AM  

girl i was so sorry that u had to endure this.....keep me posted....take care and i hope that this matter is dealt wit.....I hope that ur pain has subsided and that security guard needs to be punished to the highest extent....once again im here if u need anything....to talk.....whatever...

~ayodele~ August 3, 2009 at 11:01 AM  

yikes, my God!! I've never heard of anything like this before, well not happening to anyone i know - this is just aweful - go after these people hard, don't let up. Take good care of yourself out there though Karen *hugz* maybe you need to get a bodyguard :) DelM

Ahmeda August 3, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

Crazy to hear this story. The shame is not only the security officer's who pepper- sprayed you, but also the cops who walked away from you, the promoters who shda done more and those who foolishly tried to cover up for the perp. I pray that the damage is not permanent and that you can get some action going on following up the case. you do a good job Karen, let this stumbling block be your stepping stone..
love n hugs!
A.

JAM CREW August 3, 2009 at 11:06 AM  

hey KAREN I hope you feel better in the coming days.....that security guard need a lash with a bull pistle for doing that kind of vibes... or take the same spray and spray it in his eyes i bet he bawl until his eyes fall out......anyways don't let that vibes slow you down.....as i say " WE ARE UPGRADING no slowing down"

take care and keep me posted on this incident

JAM CREW August 3, 2009 at 11:12 AM  

and oh yes... if they find the guy make sure you SUE!!!! hard!!

this is coming from your boy in st.kitts

take care again

Jdid August 3, 2009 at 11:12 AM  

so sorry to read this. hope you feel better soon.
these security people sometimes just treat everyone like is a war going on. really they need to be trained how to handle people properly.

Ms DJ Revz August 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM  

I can not BELIEVE that this happened to you - You are stronger than you think, my love - Do whatever you can to hold this person accountable for his actions. A lot of people are backing you on this.

Stay strong!
Ms DJ Revz

@LPG13SoundIntl August 3, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

LPG13SoundIntl@nursekaren omg karen are you ok? hang in there the soca world is not an easy road I have similar feelings often. hope things get worked out with the authorities; just remember people love and appreciate what you do as nurse karen

@triniteddybear August 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM  

triniteddybear@nursekaren don't think for a moment that we don't appreciate what you in moments like this u just gotta be thankful for life n stay strong.

aw suit in the makings 4 excessive use of force causing bodily harm i got u in my thoughts get better soon

@judettepuglisi August 3, 2009 at 12:12 PM  

judettepuglisi@nursekaren Take care of yourself. Seemed to have been a tough situation. Pray. Life's a circle, it will come right back at him/them

@triniteddybear August 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM  

triniteddybear@nursekaren One of the most effective pepper spray antidotes is by applying milk to the contaminated area by spray blttle or milk soaked rag

Ashley J ~ Ms Paige ~ August 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM  

I cannot believe that you were subject to such barbaric behaviour by a so-called 'security' guard. That is so disconcerting and I feel absolutely terrible . Such behaviour really cannot be condoned and I hope that he suffers the necessary circumstances of his unnecessary actions. Karen, u are in my thoughts and prayers xoxox

@therealmsalysha August 3, 2009 at 12:15 PM  

therealmsalysha@nursekaren WTF!!! That is some shit right there..how did it happen...R U OK???

@bdorei August 3, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

bdorei@nursekaren what happened?

Mystie Thongs August 3, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

Mystie Thongs via facebook -That was not called for at all. I applaud you for standing up for yourself and making this public. Too many others would stay quiet hoping not to cause too much drama, especially as a woman in this business. I hope you do feel better soon and this matter is handled with fairness ASAP!

Unknown August 3, 2009 at 12:53 PM  

So sorry to hear about this Karen, Thanks for making this public and we will do what we can on our end to get this information out. Feel better and fight this!

Unknown August 3, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

This is a horrible story which exemplifies exactly how dangerous someone acting out of ignorance and self righteousness can be. I am disgusted at the abuse of power by this hot headed, power tripping, rent a cop. You are doing the best thing you can do after something like this happens- which is spreading the word and going to public for information and support. Feel Better soon and I hope you get yer justice.
You go girl!

lady_tg August 3, 2009 at 1:54 PM  

I have never been to Toronto yet, but I am sorry to hear what happened to you which is utterly disturbing. Is this what fetin has come to? It's not like you're a criminal or being mischievous in the situation. I hope you do feel better very soon and justice will be served!

QueenBea August 3, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

Karen my heart just sank reading this. I am utter shock. I pray that the culprit is identified and pays for his wutless action.

I hope that you will recover quickly from this and pray that there are no effects long term.

Please don't let this stop you from doing what you do. You are a testament to what hard work can accomplish. *hugs*

Unknown August 3, 2009 at 3:14 PM  

It really pains me to know that this happened to you. While I didn't see the incident, and had no knowledge of it at the time, it definitely felt a change in the energy of the fete after that point. I pray that you will stay strong and have the tenacity to seek justice in this matter, and that those around you will help you to that end. I can definitely say that as Nurse Karen, you have made a positive contribution to the soca scene both here in Toronto and abroad. I know that you only have more to offer soca or whatever you decide to apply yourself to. Strength and courage to you.

Amal August 3, 2009 at 4:17 PM  

Sorry Karen. I cant imagine how you feel. I am more angry than upset after reading this. Its very disturbing that this could actually happen.

That security guy is a very sick coward of a human being. Doing this so easily to a non-aggressive woman. He clearly has some issues and should not be in a position like that where he can evidently harm others (specifically women). Make sure he pays for it dearly.

Regarding the police ... I am not very surprised but they need to be reported.

Stay Strong.

concerned Fan August 3, 2009 at 6:13 PM  

I have withnessed people(fans and supporters of promoters) been assaulted on few occasions at these popular fetes,thus I'm not suprised that it has happened yet again however more ridiculous.I've known Karen Richardson (Nurse Karen) for quite some time and I can honestly say she is not the person to "stir up" disputes or even start an argument,so to hear that she was treated in such a manner is quite absurd. The incident that happened has raised some issues that need to be adressed immidiately and has me asking questions about what deem certain actions justifiable,which brings me to this question,are we(fans,supporters) appreciated?

Tabia August 3, 2009 at 6:28 PM  

via msn

Hey hun, I read about what happened to u
That 'security guard' was just cruel
And I can't even express how mad I am about the whole situation
I'm so sorry u had to go through it, just remember that ur doing a very great job at being Nurse Karen, so don't let this asshole make u question ur level of worth.
U would be in my thoughts.....and pleaseeeeeee find out who he is and sue the whole effin security company
Just make sure u give me my cut *smile*
Stay strong hun, luv ya
Xoxo

Laina August 3, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

Laina Dawes via Facebook

Karen, I'm so sorry to hear that. I just went over to your blog and read about the whole account. No offense to anyone at Caribana, but this is why I don't attend the parade or the events anymore. Keep up with the po-po about this.

I think that this situation is indicative of the attitudes of some brothers out there...I'm just sayin'. As you know, there is no justifiable reason that someone should be walking around with pepper spray and that he would use it on a member of the press, but more distrubingly, a woman. The disregard that we have for each other makes me sick.

Karen, I think that as an entreprenuer, a journalist who is dedicated to promoting Soca music - what you are doing is amazing and should be commended. I couldn't do it! Please don't let this bastard get away with this and please don't give up on your passion and your work. But I also think that you should write and research about what would compell a brother to do this in the first place.

Nadia August 3, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

Nadia Allen via Facebook

Oh my gosh I just read ur post, I am sorry for what happened to u know, no one should go through that especially u, I pray that God will bring him to justice and all the information that ur needed. You are an independent thoughtful and very respected person don't let sum1 like this steal ur joy ur better then this, and he will get what he is coming to him God does not sleep babes. Keep strong.

Chris August 3, 2009 at 6:32 PM  

Chris Gotti via Facebook

That's horrible - you have to question the motives of some of these 'security guards'. It's always a pleasure to hear your outlook on the soca scene. Look after your self!

El Machetero August 3, 2009 at 6:35 PM  

El Machetero via Facebook

My dearly beloved Karen....words fall painfully short in describing how outraged and disgusted i feel knowing that something like this would happen to somebody so undeserving. My friend Cleone witnessed what happened and is willing to come forward, and a lawyer associate of mine by the name of Selwyn Pieters is willing to take on your case to sue the security firm, so you should get in contact with him ASAP.

Natalie August 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM  

Natalie Johnson via facebook

I can't believe all that I read and I amin equal measure sorry and disgusted beyond words! I have no legal skills to offer, but if you ever need any help you can call on me.

Natasha August 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM  

Natasha Kanji via facebook

i am so sorry to hear about what happened to you! i hope you are ok and that charges are filed against the security guard.

Amanda August 3, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

Amanda Job via facebook

this man is friggin ridiculous and out of order! You are in my prayers my dear.

Paulina August 3, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

Paulina Paplinski via facebook

Karen I hope you're doing better!

Rachael August 3, 2009 at 6:38 PM  

C- Lightning Rachael Grellmore via Facebook

Hi my darling....thank God it was not nothing worse....but on the other hand, these are the things that hurt me the most..when someone as loving and respectful of others is treated like this.....hmmmmmmm.....this guy should be ashamed of himself.....as a strong independent woman...do not let this pass.....the Docs and the security company must answer to this, also that officer who was very disrespectful to the matter!!

Junelle August 3, 2009 at 6:39 PM  

Junelle W via Facebook

Sorry to hear that Karen. I saw when Faye Ann stopped and called out that 'The job of Security is to secure the people, not hurt them" but I had no idea you were in the midst of the commotion. I hope this guy doesn't get employed as a security guard in the future. Get whatever legal advice you may need to fight this.

Mish August 3, 2009 at 6:41 PM  

Mishelle via Facebook


Oh my gosh Karen!!! I just read your blog on what happened to you and am utterly shocked, disgusted and saddened!!! Kevin (my cuz) probably has video of Fay ann cussin off the man...we were up close to the front when it happened...I recall feeling the spray in my throat and everyone coughing profusely and such. I'm sooooo sorry that you had to endure that!!! I hope you are okay now. Please don't let this get you down. For all that you have achieved thus far in the industry it's sad that some don't recognize nor respect it. But like I (and I'm sure MANY others) have said, don't allow this to deter you from what you so passionately love to do...as you walk that strenuous climb to the top, there will ALWAYS be people trying to push you down, just brush yourself off and keep walking that steep path to the top (and trust me, I know that all of this is sooo much easier said than done, but Daly blood runs in you, so I KNOW you are strong! ;). I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers...I hope everything is rectified...know that it will be...God lets no man go unpunished for his wrong doings.

If there's anything I can do, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Stay blessed Karen.

Love & hugs,


Mish

Virve August 3, 2009 at 6:45 PM  

Virve via Facebook

I just read your account of what happened to you with the pepper spray. I'm so sorry to hear that, and hope you feel better soon. Makes me want to track that man down personally...

You deserve far better!

Lisa August 3, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

Lisa via Facebook

Hi Karen, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to you. It sounds like an injustice on multiple levels. If you are in need of a lawyer my uncle does civil litigation:

http://www.ogblaw.com/

Take good care of yourself.

Lisa

Jason August 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM  

Jason via Facebook

Hey Karen,

Its J from TFC. Listen, I can't claim to be in tune with the Soca Scene (all I know is whatever Amanda aka DJ Revz has told me in the past when when we cross paths at TD) but what you have endured really hit me.

Listen, you asked for a story...a memory...any comments to bring a smile your way. So here's what I got for you:

I'm not really sure the Soca scene knows how lucky it is to have you involved in the Biz. You were one of the gems at TFC. Super smart...super passionate...super ambitious...a true leader.

Tying your creative and personal passions to create a branded entity (Nurse Karen) and deliver a voice for an underrepresented community is something very few people can claim they've managed to accomplish. It appears you've done this and you're only just beginning.

I'm not going to comment on the pepper spray. You already know what I'd feel about that. Certainly, the violator will get his in due time. What goes around...truly does come around.

I have no doubt you'll keep shining and long after the pain of this experience physically subsides, I'm certain you'll intensify your focus and come back stronger than ever. I wish you a speedy recovery and don't forget that your helping to blaze a trail few others could actually accomplish!

Nurse Karen will heal...and come back stronger than ever! I'd bet on that in a heartbeat!

Your TFC friend from way back in the day,

J

SanMan_ish August 3, 2009 at 7:08 PM  

via twitter

SanMan_ish@nursekaren me too... wann tump im... hope you feel better... soon...

DarlingNicky999 August 3, 2009 at 7:12 PM  

via twitter

DarlingNicky999@nursekaren I'm so sorry that happened to you. His firing is all but done I'm sure. B sure 2 take anti-inflammatory if ur still swollen.

Anonymous August 3, 2009 at 7:13 PM  

Karen,

So sorry to hear what you are going through.
Seek treatment for your injuries, no matter how minor they may seem.
Rest firm in the knowledge that your friends, family and supporters are rallying around you.
Stay positive.
Ann.

izatrini August 3, 2009 at 7:14 PM  

via twitter

izatrini@nursekaren hope you feel better soon and get the vindication you deserve

bacchanalist August 3, 2009 at 7:16 PM  

via twitter

bacchanalist@nursekaren this is crazy.. sorry to hear. but never let negative things creep in your live and focus on the things you love

G_Russ August 3, 2009 at 7:18 PM  

via twitter

G_Russ@nursekaren they couldn't just ask y'all to leave?? not good..

msdjrevz August 3, 2009 at 7:23 PM  

via twitter

msdjrevz@nursekaren I wish i could give you a hug - that is a teribble thing to go thru - You are stronger than you think...Nurse Karen is worth it

Strong1979 August 3, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

via twitter

Strong1979@nursekaren I hope you are feeling better. It's a shame....

dj_bass August 3, 2009 at 7:27 PM  

via twitter

dj_bass@nursekaren honestly I can't tweet wat I really want to say about what you went throw due this being a public forum. Soo uncalled for!!!

dj_bass August 3, 2009 at 7:28 PM  

via twitter


dj_bass@nursekaren but do not get discouraged at all. We love your work, I love your work. Justice will be served !!!

socadread August 3, 2009 at 7:29 PM  

via twitter

socadread@nursekaren. I read what happened & think that was uncalled for, I'm glad to see/read that your in better spirits now, You know we love you

torontotoronto August 3, 2009 at 7:30 PM  

via twitter

torontoronto@nursekaren I can't believe it. I hope they throw the book at the guy responsible. You don't deserve this, I hope you feel better soon. :(

Anonymous August 3, 2009 at 8:40 PM  

Ok so shock of the entire thing has warn off and now I am jus vex...I wrote a lil something on facebook bout the whole thing..Girl U know I got u xo Tee

Elle August 3, 2009 at 9:18 PM  

Nurse Karen,

The minute I saw your twitter status my initial reaction was shock and after finally being able to read your blog with details pertaining to last night that shock immediately turned to outrage.

As a fellow soca lover, writer and also promoter my heart goes out to you. Nobody should have ever had to endure what you did last night especially knowing that you were just there to do your job.

Although you may be discouraged now, please dont allow the ignorance and downright stupidity of someone to stop you from doing something that you love. Your ability as a writer, your love for soca and your mere presence in the soca community far outweighs last nights incident.

If persecution is not achieved by the police, dont worry God will take care of him.

Stay strong, we're all sending positive vibes and lots of prayer your way.

AMDG, Esquire August 3, 2009 at 10:21 PM  

Karen luv, you are one of the sweetest persons I know. Not only are you smart, but you're beautiful, talented and dedicated to your craft. The hard work that you put into promoting our culture has not gone unnoticed and you will be rewarded appropriately in time... I know this.

This incident is but a minor speed bump along your path to success, so don't let this get you down. Easy to say, I know... but don't give in to self-pity and anger, those are only self-defeating emotions. You otherwise had a great Caribana, focus your thoughts on those pleasant memories instead and don't let the devil steal your joy.

The day of reckoning will come for this man. Just trust in that.

Neil Chow August 4, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

Nurse Karen,

I have to say that I am appalled to hear how you ended your weekend.
I have also been a victim of pepper spray, however it was not as severe as yours. My thoughts and prays are with you. Keep Strong and know that this security guard will get what he deserves whatever that may be.

Blessings,
Neil Chow

Ren August 4, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

OMG! Hope you Feel Better! You definitely did not deserve this. Security guards are there to keep the peace not to do otherwise. As far as the police not taking your report, the officer by-law when asked is suppose to give you her badge number and name (as well as the bouncer). The bouncers actions were unprofessional and merely unprovoked, he had no justifiable right to do what he did. I've witnessed this same 'power' trip that bouncers take and I took action...hope you do the same.

Concerned Soca Lover August 5, 2009 at 2:34 PM  

Such a preventable situation. You should definately take action, and I think its great that you are trying to raise awareness of the situation. Keep your head up and thank God that your eyes were not open when that jerk sprayed you. I hope you get well and that the damage is not permanent.

God Bless.

Corey Graham 2.0 August 6, 2009 at 3:33 PM  

I ain't know what to say. I find it completely ridiculous that something like this could even happen to someone in the media covering an event.
Karen really do hope you feel better soon.
This man needs to be dealt with appropriately, just because he is a security guard doesn't mean he do this shit.
Maybe that security firm should be be paid all for that event at all.

I think that promoters need to really take better care those members of the media who do their job well.

I hope u feel better soon really.

this really upsets me.

demboyzanddem August 14, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

Karen yuh know yuh boyz and dem will def give accounts of what type of person you are if needed. This is truely a sad incident and u should have seen dem fellas face when ah tell dem what happened. Dont let them get away with it. How would he feel if it was his daughter that this was done to? Then again with his actions he probably wouldnt have claimed

SUBSCRIBE...

Enter your email address, to receive a daily update by email:

Delivered by (Nurse) Karen (Etc)

subcribe in a reader

Add to Google


Donate

CONTACT DE NURSE

Do you have news you think we should know about? Do you want to share your opinion about something your read on (Nurse) Karen (Etc). Call de Nurse for free from anywhere in the US or Canada! Click below to connect her phone to yours...

Follow (ETC)!

  © Nurse Karen Etc Nurse Karen Etc by Mustard Seed Media 2005 - 2009

Back to TOP