Nurse's Lounge: My first Trini Dimanche Gras

>> Monday, February 23, 2009

I enjoy a good fete.  You know thatalready, but you may not know that even more than that, I enjoy variety.  My entertainmet has always included activitites that challeng the mind, body and spirit.  So, when I find a little free time at home, I'm more inclined to check out a lecture, art exhibit or a spoken word show, than to go to every single soca fete they have listed on Toronto-Lime .


Variety is definitely the spice of MY life.  So, I mix it up to keep in interesting.  Tonight, my writing assignment was Dimanche Gras 2009/ Mas and Calypso finals.  I made it to the Savannah on time for a 7 pm start, but the rain was coming down, so you know how that goes.  In a nutshell, Chalkdust mashed up calypso, and easily earned himself his 8th ever Monarch title.  In the mas category, Mac Farlane snatched both King and Queen of Carnival.  I love that man's mas...but I gotta say, I disagree with the judges' decisions this time around.  

Granted, the big costumes in Mac Farlane's presentation of Africa are stunningly beautiful, well-crafted and deserve top honours for creativity.  However, if you don't play yuh mas', in my opinion everything else goes out the window.  The King made a bee-line from one side of the stage to the next, never having turned the costume around to fully display its beauty.  The queen - her costume looked very awkward to carry.  Mas people corret me if I'm wrong.  If my untrained eye can see a little struggle going on, it's either a problem with the cosutme design or construction, or an indication that they have to wrong person displaying de ting.  Nah true?

I really enjoyed the show.  I love good Kaiso.  I now feel up to date on Trinidad's hot political topics.  I was happy to see younger, vibrant Calypsonians like Brian London, Karen Asche and Kizzie Ruiz preserving the culture and keeping pace with the greats.  The night honoured the Mighty Duke who passed away the other day. Shadow and Destra made special appearances as guest acts too!



The show itself was wonderful.  But on a sour note, I didn't really feel much love or respect from my media peers in Trinidad tonight.  That was a disappointment. Not only was there no one to around to ensure that I got a press kit, but I had to type up most of that news release while sitting on the floor with my computer on one thigh and my notes tucked under my chin.  

The staff of a certain radio station thought they needed the space in the very limited media box a lot more than I did.  Most of them weren't actively doing ANYTHING other than prying open they cooler for drinks.  But whatever, it's their carnival not mine.  Let them lime...

Bye allyuh...I going and lime too!

Next stop Yellow Devils J'Ouvert...

Love and Soca, 

(Nurse) Karen




2 x 2 cents (comment, nuh!):

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

Buss files...what radio station was it? Are they related to the soca mafia?

Karen L Richardson February 26, 2009 at 6:05 AM  

they related to the throbbing pain in my bamsee! would love to buss files, but there's no need to out the station when it's more an issue of a few people with bad manners.

SUBSCRIBE...

Enter your email address, to receive a daily update by email:

Delivered by (Nurse) Karen (Etc)

subcribe in a reader

Add to Google


Donate

CONTACT DE NURSE

Do you have news you think we should know about? Do you want to share your opinion about something your read on (Nurse) Karen (Etc). Call de Nurse for free from anywhere in the US or Canada! Click below to connect her phone to yours...

Follow (ETC)!

  © Nurse Karen Etc Nurse Karen Etc by Mustard Seed Media 2005 - 2009

Back to TOP