Nurse's Lounge: Stick Fighting Bacchanal!!!

>> Thursday, February 19, 2009

Guess who's in Trinidad?  One guess.   You're so smart! 


I arrived early yesterday morning, and it's plenty pace.  Now that I have all the logistics set out for my stay.  I will be balancing my time between reporting on culture events for Toronto-Lime.com's Carnival 360 coverage, networking with people in the industry here...and LIMING!!!

That's right allyuh, this is my time to fete too.

Last night, I made the trek down south to Couva to cover the National Stick Fighting Finals.  It was my first time seeing anything like that! About four men g0t their head bust in under 3 hours.  Um...? So, that was just the sport itself.  But, down at Gilbert Park, it was bottles flinging, and drums beating.  Oh, and by the way, have you ever seen a man slap a police officer in the face?  I have.  A female one too! Is like woman beating come in style...Complete craziness. How's that for things you eh go read in my official report?

 All that aside, I gained a real appreciation from a part of Trini culture, I knew nothing about.  No, I don't mean domestice violence.  Gimme a break nah, you know I don't stand for that...and I would never dare call THAT culture.  I'm talking about he way that as aspects of some African traditions have been preserved and embraced by the people.  It's was a beautiful thing hearing the rhythms and chanting, and being in a part of the country, with a group of down to hear real people, that I may not have otherwised encountered.  

I feel real thankful!  Can't wait to tell you what comes next!


0 x 2 cents (comment, nuh!):

SUBSCRIBE...

Enter your email address, to receive a daily update by email:

Delivered by (Nurse) Karen (Etc)

subcribe in a reader

Add to Google


Donate

CONTACT DE NURSE

Do you have news you think we should know about? Do you want to share your opinion about something your read on (Nurse) Karen (Etc). Call de Nurse for free from anywhere in the US or Canada! Click below to connect her phone to yours...

Follow (ETC)!

  © Nurse Karen Etc Nurse Karen Etc by Mustard Seed Media 2005 - 2009

Back to TOP