Booster Shot: Jester wins Stylus Soca DJ of the Year!

>> Wednesday, June 3, 2009

DJ Jester with Zoelah, Toronto 2008


Hey Allyuh!

Got a dose of some Canadian "On De Scene" news for you!! Jester is the 2009 Stylus Soca DJ of the Year! On Monday night, an elite group of Canadian DJs and Urban Music Artists assembled inside the Queen Elizabeth Centre on the Canadian National Exhibition grounds here in Toronto for the 4th Annual Stylus DJ Awards. It's a celebration of the true batteries powering Canada's Urban Music Scene, THE DJs.

There are categories for everything! You know that I concern myself with soca music!
Since the awards began in 2006, Dr. Jay de Soca Prince has won the soca category every year. The organizers retired him from the category in 2008. This year, the floor was opened for a new winner, and Jester took it! He scooped up College Radio DJ of the Year too, for the second year in a row.

The complete list of nominees and winners is available right here

He was up against pretty stiff competition. Toronto is a city where soca gets year-round love, so crowds have several favourites to choose from. Some play soca either exclusively or primarily! (I know that's like revolutionary for some of you reading)

Well Jes ain't THAT guy. With deep Kittitian roots, Jester has an even deeper respect for Caribbean music, but he prides himself for his versatility when behind the controls.

He'll mash up Hip Hop, R&B, Dancehall or whatever! Whether its out in the clubs repping X-Caliber International and the Smash Squad DJs, or acting as Toronto's morning Coffee with DJ Chief on the World Wide Wake Up Show - boyfriend knows his way around some turntables.

I asked him how he felt about the big win. Here's what he had to say...


"It was honor to be a 5x nominee for the 2009 Stylus DJ Awards, but actually winning really surprised me. The competition was very serious in all the categories I was nominated in (College Radio, Club DJ, Toronto DJ, Myspace DJ Page, Soca DJ Of The Year). I was shocked to win 'College Radio Show Of The Year' 2 years in a row (for the 'Worldwide Wake Up Show' CIUT 89.5fm Thursdays 5:30-8am http://ciut.fm). I have to thank all those who have supported 'Worldwide' over the years.

My goal with 'Worldwide' is to never make it sound cheap or unprofessional. I believe quality is important with whatever you do. Now to win 'Soca DJ Of The Year' was the real shocker. Definitely a competitive category (with Bandit, Soca Sweetness, MArXman, among others nominated in this category with me). I love calypso and soca a lot.

I do so many things outside of soca music, but I always make sure I do at least two soca mixtapes a year and try my best to connect with the artists. I truly believe it is important to expose soca to the masses and break music. I believe that in any genre of music, but more so for soca. When I was a member of the KOS Family I was able to build with all of the artists that I met over the years and now as a member of the X-Caliber Entourage I see how hard it is for a soca artist to get his/her music heard since working with Dawg (Mr. Slaughter).

My 2009 Stylus experience will defnitely be something to remember. Even if I don't win an award I truly believe having your name in a category with some of the country's best means alot. From DJ Wristpect, P-Plus, Ill Kids to Bandit, Soca Sweetness, & JUK, I am in good company and it shows my versatility even more."

--
Jester

X-Caliber International
Smash Squad DJs


Jester congrats on your successes this year. You definitely deserve it. You work so hard! I've learned much from witnessing your work ethic. I have also enjoyed the pleasure of working with you now and then at Flow. Keep setting a great example for kids getting into the biz! Must feel GREAT to get that boost from the fans.

Love and Soca,

Nurse Karen

P.S. For the rest of ya...never heard Jester spin? Why don't you download Jester X-Perience 2009 Groovy Soca Mix? Promise you won't regret it!

0 x 2 cents (comment, nuh!):

SUBSCRIBE...

Enter your email address, to receive a daily update by email:

Delivered by (Nurse) Karen (Etc)

subcribe in a reader

Add to Google


Donate

CONTACT DE NURSE

Do you have news you think we should know about? Do you want to share your opinion about something your read on (Nurse) Karen (Etc). Call de Nurse for free from anywhere in the US or Canada! Click below to connect her phone to yours...

Follow (ETC)!

  © Nurse Karen Etc Nurse Karen Etc by Mustard Seed Media 2005 - 2009

Back to TOP